The 2015 American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Practitioners is on-going and applications are currently invited.
The American College of Surgeons offers International Guest Scholarships to young surgeons from countries other than the United States or Canada who have demonstrated strong interests in teaching and research. The scholarships provide the Scholars with an opportunity to visit clinical, teaching, and research activities in North America and to attend and participate fully in the educational opportunities and activities of the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
Citizens of countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe, Oceania, etc (i.e. all countries EXCEPT the United States and Canada).
The scholarship requirements are:
- • Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine.
• Applicants must be at least 35 years old, but under 45, on the date that the completed application is filed.
• Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
• Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of the applicant’s country.
• Early careerists are deemed more suitable than those who are serving in senior academic appointments.
Preference may be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in North America. An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College, together with new supporting documentation.
The award is in the amount of $10,000 for each scholarship. The scholarships provide successful applicants with the privilege of participating in the College’s annual Clinical Congress in October 2015, with public recognition of their presence.
They will receive gratis admission to selected postgraduate courses plus admission to all lectures, demonstrations, and exhibits, which are an integral part of the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided in arranging visits, following the Clinical Congress, to various clinics and universities of their choice.
The International Guest Scholarships must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
Application Method and Deadline
Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be typewritten and in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
Applicants must provide a list of all of their publications and must submit, in addition, three complete publications (reprints or manuscripts) of their choice from that list. Independently prepared letters of recommendation from three colleagues must also be submitted. It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Completed applications for the International Guest Scholarships and all of the supporting documentation must be received at the office of the International Liaison Section prior to the deadline date, in order for an applicant to receive consideration by the selection committee. The deadline date for receipt of applications is July 1 every year.
Official American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholarships Website – http://www.facs.org/memberservices/igs.html