2015 University of Newcastle International Postgraduate Research Scholarships for Masters and PhD Students
Applications are on-going for the 2015 University of Newcastle International Postgraduate Research Scholarships for Masters and PhD Students. The University of Newcastle, Australia offers a number of postgraduate research scholarships to support international research candidates for PhD and research Masters studies.
One of these is the University of Newcastle International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (UNIPRS) funded by the Research Division. This scholarship is for Master’s degree or PhD degree by research.
The scholarship is for tuition fees, a Faculty-funded living allowance ($25,849 p.a. at 2015 rate – indexed annually), and the payment of Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC).
The duration is three (3) years for a PhD degree and two (2) years for a Master’s degree, less any previous tenure towards a research higher degree at the same level. It is available for Citizens of all countries in the world and covers all available Masters or PhD by research programmes offered at the University.
Applicants must meet eligibility requirements before the closing date and must have an offer of admission to a research higher degree. Applicants for all schemes must have completed at least four years of undergraduate study and have attained Honours Class 1 or equivalent.
Applicants must provide evidence of English proficiency before the closing date. The TOEFL computer based test requires a score of at least 232 (with an Essay Rating of at least 4.5) or a paper based test score of at least 575 (with an Essay Rating of at least 4.5); or an IELTS score of at least 6.5 with no individual subtest score less than 6.0.
Applicants are not eligible for:
- • Support for a research Master degree if they already hold a research Master degree or equivalent;
• Support from any RHD scholarship if they already hold a research Doctoral degree or equivalent;
• UNRS if they have previously held an equivalent scholarship for six months or more, for the same award.
Scholarships are awarded to eligible applicants on the basis of academic merit and through a highly competitive process. The award of research scholarships may also take into account areas of research strength or areas of research in line with the strategic directions of the University.
The research scholarship criteria for all faculties will have the common components of academic achievement and research/ scholarly attainments (relative to opportunity).
Application Procedure and Deadline
To be eligible to apply for this Scholarship, applicants must meet eligibility requirements before the closing date and must have an offer of admission to a research higher degree.
To apply, you need to have a current offer of admission into a research higher degree.
- • Currently enrolled candidates can apply for a scholarship by contacting [email protected] .
• New applicants can apply for a scholarship at the same time as applying for admission.
Your application for admission must include:
- • Copies of all academic transcripts;
• A research proposal;
• Evidence of extra academic attainments e.g. publications; AND
• If required, certified evidence of meeting the English proficiency requirement.
Please ensure you attach the following documents to support your scholarship application:
- • Copies of research publications, exhibitions or conference papers
• Curriculum Vitae
• Details of previous research experience e.g. research work experience / study
• Any additional documents that may add to your scholarship application e.g. evidence of the award of a University Medal
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete and most current information on scholarship application procedures.
There is one main scholarship round each year where scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Other scholarships may become available throughout the year. Scholarship applications will be accepted between 1st January and 31st August each year. Applications from International applicants are accepted until 31st August at 4pm; WHILE domestic applications close 31st October at 4pm.
Official Scholarship Website –http://www.newcastle.edu.au/international/study-with-us/costs-and-scholarships/scholarships