The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision.
The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change, and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in their home country. We invite you to meet our inspiring current AU Emerging Global Leader Scholars and recent EGLS alumni.
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is targeted to high-achieving international students who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in the US and who are dedicated to positive civic and social change. It is intended for students who will be to returning home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.
American University, Washington DC.
Field(s) of study:
Any undergraduate study offered at the University
Number of Scholarships:
One (1) scholarship will be awarded to a first-year (freshman) international student
The scholarships are targeted to international secondary school students from any country. U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or dual citizens of the U.S. and another country, are not eligible to apply.
Preference will be given to international students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and under-represented global and socio-economic backgrounds.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States. The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
You are NOT eligible to apply if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2020.
AU EGLS applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2022. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2022.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2022.
How to apply:
- Complete the online AU EGLS application.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2021 at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly to American University Undergraduate Admissions.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2021, or by January 15, 2022 at the latest. Please note that preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$70,464). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
This scholarship is highly competitive. You must have a minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent and minimum 90 TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS English proficiency score in order to qualify for this scholarship. Only apply if you meet these criteria.
To qualify for August 2022 intake, students must submit the EGL Scholarship Application, the Common Application, and AU Supplement forms plus all supporting documents by 15 January 2022.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the applications forms and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.american.edu/admissions/international/egls.cfm