Borno State Commissioner For Education Shuts Down 85 Secondary Schools Over Security Reasons
Activities in Over 85 public secondary schools in northeast borno state have been suspended due to deadly attacks and security threats by the Boko Haram islamic group. According to reports , This closure will affect over 120,000 students and although it is not clear when the schools will resume , the spokesman of borno state of the commissioner said this decision was taken in the best interest of the students as everyone in borno state now sleeps with one eye closed.
Here’s what Suleiman Gana , one of the secondary school teachers , has to say.
“We reported to school on Friday last week (March 14) but to our shock the principal of the school told us he had received orders from the ministry of education to close down the school indefinitely,”
“He (the principal) told us the decision affects all public secondary schools in the state and was taken as a precautionary measure to safeguard lives of teachers and students from Boko Haram attacks,” Gana said.
Boko Haram , whose actual meaning is “Western education is sinful” has continued to show its disregard for human lives especially students.
Late last month, 43 students were shot and hacked to death when suspected Boko Haram gunmen stormed the Federal Government College in Buni Yadi, in nearby Yobe state.