OAU Student Caught Trying To flush New Baby Down Hostel Toilet
A female student of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Ile Ife, Osun State, (name withheld), who attempted to flush her new born baby into the female toilet was Wednesday caught by the institution’s authorities.
A source informed said the incident took place Wednesday morning, at Moremi Hall of residence in the school campus.
The incident, which shocked students, lecturers and others in the community was said to have generated reactions in various quarters as some students were stunned about what prompted the student to commit such heinous crime.
It was also learnt that the student. who is in her late 20s and a student of Agriculture Extension department of the institution was allegedly caught by one of the cleaners, who raised the alarm when she noticed congealed blood flowing from the gutter of the toilet linking the drainage for waste water and urine.
Another source confirmed that the student might not have deliberately wanted to flush the baby in the toilet, but felt like defecating when the baby suddenly gushed out from her body into the water closet.
As at the time of filing this report, the student and the rescued baby had been taken to the institution health centre, where they are currently receiving medical treatment, as the Dean of Students’ Affairs of the university, Dr. Lateefat Durosinmi, and the security department took over the matter.
When contacted, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the university, Mr. Abiodun Olanrewaju, confirmed the incident, adding that people should not just jump into conclusion that the student intentionally wanted to flush the new born baby in the water closet. He stated that the security department was already investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.
According to him, “the cleaner, who was said to have discovered the blood and subsequently caught the student, was being interrogated by the security department. We are on top of the situation and the new born baby and her mother are responding to treatment in our health facility. There is no cause for alarm.”
Via: THISDAY Newspaper