The Rhodes Postgraduate Scholarship application for 2018 to to study at the University of Oxford University has commenced. Interested and equally qualified persons from from 20 Rhodes constituencies (64 countries) worldwide can now apply online.
About The Rhodes Scholarship Award
The Rhodes Scholarship is a postgraduate award supporting exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
- The Scholarship aims to nurture public-spirited leaders for the world’s future
- Ninety five outstanding young women and men are awarded the Scholarship each year, from 20 Rhodes constituencies (64 countries) worldwide
- Rhodes Scholars study at the world-class University of Oxford, ranked first internationally in the Times Higher Education rankings 2017
- Scholars may pursue any full-time postgraduate degree (subject to limited restrictions) offered by the University of Oxford, for a duration of 2-3 years
What Is Covered By The Rhodes Scholarship Award?
- The Scholarship includes full tuition, a maintenance stipend, and flights to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of tenure
- Whilst at Oxford Scholars enjoy a comprehensive Rhodes Character, Service & Leadership programme, inclusive of retreats, workshops, conferences, as well as many discussion and social events at Rhodes House, Oxford
- The Rhodes Scholarship is a lifelong, intergenerational fellowship of over 5000 individuals, resident in over 100 countries worldwide.
Rhodes Postgraduate Scholarships Eligibility Criteria
The following eligibility criteria apply to all applicants for the Rhodes Scholarship:
- Citizenship & residency: You must meet the citizenship/residency requirements of one of the Rhodes constituencies : Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland), SJLP (including Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine), United Arab Emirates, United States, West Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Age: You must have reached your 18th birthday and not have passed your 24th birthday on 1 October in the year of application. There is some variation on the upper age limit across constituencies depending on the local environment. Please check carefully the specific age requirements for your constituency before applying. Successful candidates will arrive in Oxford the October following the selection process. The Scholarship may not be deferred.
- Education: Rhodes Scholars must have completed a Bachelor’s degree before coming up to Oxford, to a sufficiently high standard to meet both the Rhodes and the Oxford criteria. Please consult the detailed information provided by the constituency to which you are applying on the How to apply for a Rhodes Scholarship page and the prospectus pages of the University of Oxford. NB Some constituencies require completion of your undergraduate degree in the year of application for the Scholarship.
Rhodes Selection Criteria For Postgraduate Scholarship Awards
Rhodes Scholars come from many different backgrounds and the strength of our community lies in the diversity of the individuals who are part of it.
Though expressed in the old-fashioned language of the founding documents, the selection criteria governing selection across all Rhodes constituencies remain as relevant today as they were over 100 years ago:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
These are the essential qualities which Selection Committees are looking for, though their embodiment will be diverse and unique to each individual.
Selection Committees in each Rhodes constituency are made up of senior Rhodes Scholars (Rhodes alumni) and distinguished non-Scholar members of the local community, who represent a diverse range of experience and expertise.
How To Apply For Rhodes Postgraduate Scholarships for 2018
Read carefully the detailed Information for Candidates specific to the country/region to which you are applying. Check the opening and closing dates of the application for your country/region. Then you can start your application now by selecting your on the application page. Please make sure you read everything on the page before you apply.
To apply, go to the scholarship page here:- www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/scholarship/
For West African applicants who have read all the instructions before, you can click here to go to the application page for West Africa directly.
We wish you the very best with your entry!!!
Do you want to ask any question or comment this post? Ask and get very fast answers on NGScholars Ask! CLICK HERE to go to the forum! . Click on Login and login with Facebbok
Don't want to miss an update?Join over 143,000 Facebook Followers | Join over 29,000 Twitter Followers | Join over 26,000 Email Subscribers
Do you want to ask any question about this post? Ask and get very fast answers on NGScholars Ask!CLICK HERE to go to the forum! . Click on Login and login with Facebbok.