Here are universities that offer Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria. This article also contains WAEC and JAMB subjects combinations and requirements. In other words, you will know which subjects each school allows for admission into their medicine courses.
If you are a student coming out of high school and looking to study medicine and surgery, you must have asked yourself about the schools that offer the course. The “where can I study” question may arise for various options. Some of them include simply knowing your options, determining what to fill during JAMB registration and finding a university close to your location.
Therefore, we intend ti answer these questions and more in this article.
List of Universities That Offer Medicine & Surgery in Nigeria
Below are the universities where you can study Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria
SEE ALSO: Cut-off Mark for Medicine and Surgery.
How do you use this table? Good question.
Because JAMB has a different way of naming schools in JAMB brochure, we add an additional column into the table. The first column is the serial number and the second is the name JAMB gives to a school in their brochure – that is how you find the universities. Lastly, the third column has the names of the schools as we know them.
This is not just another compilation of universities that offer medicine and surgery. You can click on the full university name to get more details about them. You will find information about the school’s post-UTME, admission requirements, cut-off marks and more useful information.
|S/N||JAMB NAME||COMMON NAME||TYPE|
|1||AAU||Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma||State|
|2||ABSU||Abia State University||State|
|3||ABU||Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria||Federal|
|4||ABUAD||Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti||Private|
|5||ABUJA||University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)||Federal|
|6||COOU||Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University||State|
|8||BAYERO||Bayero University Kano (BUK)||Federal|
|9||BENIN||University of Benin (UNIBEN)||Federal|
|10||BINGHAM||Bingham University, Karu, Abuja||Private|
|11||BOWEN||Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State||Private|
|12||BSU||Benue State University Makurdi (BSUM)||State|
|13||CALABAR||University of Calabar (UNICAL)||Federal|
|14||DELSU||Delta State University (DELSU)||State|
|15||EBSU||Ebonyi State University||State|
|16||EKSU||Ekiti State University||State|
|17||ESUTECH||Enugu State University of Science and Technology||State|
|18||GREGORY||Gregory University Uturu||Private|
|19||GSU||Gombe State University||State|
|20||IBADAN||University of Ibadan (UI)||Federal|
|21||IGBINEDION||Igbinedion University Okada (IUO)||Private|
|22||ILORIN||University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)||Federal|
|23||IMSU||Imo State University||State|
|24||JOS||University of Jos (UNIJOS)||Federal|
|25||KSU||Kogi State University, Anyigba||State|
|26||LAGOS||University of Lagos (UNILAG)||Federal|
|27||LASU||Lagos State University (LASU)||State|
|28||LAUTECH||Ladoke Akintola University of Technology||State|
|29||MADONNA||Madonna University Okija||Private|
|30||MAIDUGURI||University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)||Federal|
|31||NDU||Niger Delta University||State|
|32||NTNU||Nile University of Nigeria||Private|
|33||OAU||Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife||Federal|
|34||OOU||Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye||State|
|35||OSUMS||University of Medical Sciences, Ondo (UNIMED)||State|
|36||PHC||University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)||Federal|
|37||UDU||Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto (UDUSOK)||Federal|
|38||UNIOSUN||Osun State University, Osogbo||State|
|39||UNIZIK||Nnamdi Azikiwe University||Federal|
|40||UNN||University of Nigeria Nsukka||Federal|
|41||UYO||University of Uyo, UNIUYO||Federal|
Universities that Accept Medicine & Surgery Admission Requirements
Next, let us discuss the requirements for admission into this prestigious course of study.
Direct Entry Requirements
(i) ‘A’ level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology in addition to UTME requirements.
(ii) BSC, BOS, etc in relevant fields.
Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
UTME Subjects for Medicine & Surgery
English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Other Allowed Subjects:
Direct Entry Requirements & Subjects Combination (Group 1):
- UDU, MAIDUGURI and EBSU accept ‘A’ level pass in Mathematics in lieu of Physics.
- LAGOS accepts:
- Very good passes in three JUPEB/A’ Level subjects: Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- B.Sc. Degree First Class/Second Class Upper in medically related Fields.
- BINGHAM and PHC – No Direct Entry.
- OOU and CALABAR accept Degree in Science not below Second Class Lower Division.
- CALABAR accepts Degree (not below a good second class lower Division) in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Nursing Science, Medical Laboratory, Biology, Zoology or Chemistry. Does not accept IJMB for Direct Entry.
- ABSU, AAU and OOU accept Degree in related fields.
- BSU, IMSU and LASU accept a good Honours degree (minimum of second class upper) in relevant discipline.
- JOS requires D/E candidates to fulfil UTME Entry requirements.
- BENIN accepts:
- At least three “A” LEVEL PASSES (Not more than one C Grade or minimum of 12points) in Biology or Zoology, Physics and Chemistry at NOT MORE THAN ONE SITTING.
- At least a second class upper division from a recognised University in either B.Sc Biological Sciences or B.Sc. Medical Sciences.
- ABSU – all candidates no matter their mode of admission are required to have GCE ‘O’ level or equivalent with credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at one sitting and same sitting.
- ILORIN accepts B.Sc (Second Class Honours) in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology and other Basic Sciences fields. Also accept a minimum aggregate of 13 points.
- LASU requires a minimum of ‘C’ in each of the subjects and will consider a Bachelor of Science with a minimum of Second Upper Division for admission.
- LAUTECH accepts ‘A’ Level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology (plus UTME requirements) may be considered for admission into 200 level.
- OAU accepts B.Sc. with a minimum of 2nd Class Honours in relevant discipline (Sciences).
- EBSU accepts B.Sc 2nd Class Upper Division in any biological science course Plus at least credit pass in English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics in one sitting.
Direct Entry Requirements & Subjects Combination (Group 2):
- UNIOSUN accepts
- Acceptable passes (good grade – total points of 10) in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology at the Higher School Certificate or Advanced Level of General certificate Examination or its equivalent.
- First Degree in relevant Biomedical sciences (Medical, paramedical, biological, chemical or physical Sciences) not less than Second Class Upper Division level.
- NDU accepts:
- HSC/GCE ‘A’ Level passes in Chemistry, Biology and Physics with a minimum of 10 points in not more than two sittings.
- A B.Sc. degree holder with a minimum of second class upper division in the areas of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics and Botany.
- LAGOS accepts;
- Very good passes in the following JUPEB/A-LEVEL subjects: Physics Chemistry and Biology.
- B.Sc. Degree First Class/Second Class Upper in fields such as Physiology, Biochemistry, Physiotherapy, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology and Zoology.
- ABUJA requires D/E candidates to fulfil UTME Entry requirements.
- ILORIN accepts minimum aggregate of 13 Points. Accepts B.Sc. (Second Class Honours, Upper Division) in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology.
UTME Requirements & Subjects Combination:
- UNN accepts Physics with Chemistry (as a single subject) for Physics and Chemistry. UNN requirements should be at one sitting.
- ILORIN requires five O’ Level credit passes at only one sitting and minimum score as determined by the University Senate in JAMB examination.
- BENIN, IBADAN, IMSU, ABSU, EBSU, UNIOSUN, COOU, DELSU and BOWEN require the O level Credit passes at one sitting.
- NDU requires the O level Credit passes in not more than two sittings.
- NTNU accepts credit pass in any Science subject in lieu of Physics.
- UDU and MAIDUGURI accept Mathematics in lieu of Physics.
- NTNU accepts Chemistry, Biology and any other Science subject.
If you are here, you probably know about medicine and surgery, if not, click here.
Now that you have the list of universities that offer medicine and surgery and decided one for yourself, you can apply for UTME. Finally, if you want to apply, here is a comprehensive guide for JAMB registration.