The School Authorites have deemed it fit to dissolves the present University of Lagos Student Union (ULSU) Executive and the Student Legislative Council with immediate effect over the protest conducted on the 7th of April,2016
The student Representative councils spear headed the protest to show their grievances to the management of the University on the matter of water and light issues. The management of the University of Lagos, then ordered the immediate closure of the institution. When protests becomes violence drastic actions are taken against protester directly or indirectly.
UNILAG Dissolve Student Union Executives
The Senate of the institution, at its emergency meeting of Friday, April 22, 2016 considered the Report of the Investigative Panel as well as the recommendations from the Committee of Provost and Deans on same and directed that, in view of the violent and disruptive nature of the protest and came to the following conclusions:
The University of Lagos Student Union (ULSU) Constitution should be suspended until further notice
- The ULSU Executive and the Student Legislative Council should be dissolved forthwith.
- Faculty and Departmental Associations should work with the University Management through the Students’ Affairs Division in the interim.
- ULSU Constitution should be reviewed to include conflict resolution mechanisms such as establishment of Judicial Arm and Financial Guidelines, which shall be the prelude to subsequent elections into ULSU offices.
- The University shall re-open for full academic activities on May 2, 2016 and the first semester 2015/2016 session examinations shall commence on May 9, 2016. Returning students must sign an undertaking to be of good behaviour which must be properly endorsed by their parents/guardians.
- Locking of the University gates or invasion of any facility during any protest is hereby prohibited. Students that violate this regulation shall be expelled forthwith from the University.
Dissolving the Student union executives has and would serve as a lesson, as students are reminded that the award of degree of the University of Lagos is made to persons who are found to be worthy in “learning and character”.